I had every intention of making this bread before the weekend. But last week was a tough one for me and this did not happen. And then I got caught up with holiday baking and just could not imagine making whole wheat bread when there was going to be so much delicious challah around. So, here I am on Tuesday, making this recipe that is due today.
The kids have been off from school for two days because of the holiday. This morning we went to Zumba – they stayed in the babysitting room. Then we came home and found out that there was a tornado watch until the evening, so we were stuck inside. This is really perfect for baking, except that I wanted them to clean up their toys. Instead, as I was focusing on the recipe, they were making an absolute mess in their room.
So much for cleaning up toys.
OK. To the recipe. It actually went together quite easily. I got out all the ingredients first.
Then I put the yeast, warm water, and honey in the bowl of my mixer, with the dough hook attached. After 5 minutes it was getting creamy.
I ended up keeping it going for a few more minutes while I prepared the warm water for the next part. When that was ready, I poured it into the bowl, along with 1/2 the bread flour and whole wheat flour mix, the oil, and the malt syrup. Then I used the mixer to mix the dough and then added the remainder of the flour. Lastly, I turned up the speed to 2 , added the salt, and had the machine process the dough until it pulled away from the sides, about 5 minutes.
Since my machine was getting hot, I removed the dough from the bowl and finished kneading it for 8 minutes on my floured counter top. My daughter L helped me with this.
When the dough was smooth and elastic, we placed it into a large bowl which had been sprayed with cooking spray.
I put this into my unheated oven for 1 1/2 hours because my air conditioning is on and I knew it would not rise properly. Out of the oven after the dough doubled in size, I divided it into two halves and formed each into a rectangle about 9″ x 12″.
Then I folded the rectangle down 2/3 from the top and then brought the bottom up to the new top. I pinched the ends and then transfered the log to the oiled loaf pan.
I sprinkled wheat germ on top and then put the loaf pans back into the unheated oven to rise again for 1 hour. This time, the test is a finger poke and mine stuck. So it is now ready to bake.
35 minutes in a 375 degree oven, and the loaves registered at 200 degrees F inside. They were gorgeous!
J got the first piece, the end.
Then I sliced two pieces and added my (italian) plum star anise jam.
It was yummy!
Next month we are making Cranberry Walnut Pumpkin Loaf and then Bagels. Should be good. Check back soon!